• Is there a fee for paying online?

    There is a small, non-refundable, convenience fee for using the online payment system, that is charged by our vendor.  The fee is neither charged, nor collected by the Circuit Clerk's Office and will be disclosed prior to you submitting your payment.

  • How do I find out when my court date is?

    You may look up your court case information through our Public Access system or by contacting the Branch Location your case is assigned to.
  • How do I find out if I taken a traffic school course within the last 12 months?

    Please contact CLC Judicial Services at (847) 543-2185 to determine if you have taken a traffic course in Lake County in the past 12 months.
  • What will happen if I do not complete my traffic school?

    If you do not complete your traffic school and you were placed on supervision, your sentence may be revoked and your citation will become a conviction on your driving record.  
  • Where do I sign up for traffic school?

    If you are completing the Court Diversion Form, asking for Supervision and requesting Traffic School without appearing before the Court, upon receipt of your paperwork and payment in full, our office will notify the College of Lake County - Traffic Safety Division. You should hear from them regarding the scheduling of your class, whether in person or on-line.

    If you were ordered to complete a Traffic School Course or other Course offered through the College of Lake County - Traffic Safety Division, you should have received a referral form when in Court.  Complete that form and mail any payment for the class directly to the College of Lake County to the address provided on the form.

    Should you have any questions regarding the scheduling of your class, or have not received anything from the College of Lake County, please call them at 847.543.2185.

    Information on traffic school courses at the College of Lake County is also available on their website.


  • How do I contact the Illinois Secretary of State?

    The primary number to the Illinois Secretary of State is 217.785.8619.  You may also visit their website at www.cyberdriveillinois.gov.

    Should you need to speak to someone in Administrative Hearings, the number is 217.782.7065.
  • Why is my Driver's License suspended?

    To find out exactly why you driver's license may be suspended, you should contact the Illinois Secretary of State.  Their number is 217.785.8619.
  • Can I change my court date?

    No, a court date cannot be changed.  Only a judge can change a court date.  The only exception would be if you are planning to plead not guilty and asking for a trial prior to your first court date on an applicable case.  Please follow the instruction of Avoid Multiple Court Appearances on the traffic citation you received.
  • Where can I pay a fine?

    You can pay a fine at any of our locations:

    ​Main Courthouse
    18 North County St
    Waukegan, IL 60085

    Park City Branch Court
    301 Greenleaf St
    Park City, Illinois 60085

    Round Lake Branch Court
    1792 Nicole Lane
    Round Lake Beach, Illinois 60073

    ​Mundelein Branch Court
    ​105 E Route 83
    Mundelein Illinois 60085

    Payment on Juvenile cases can be made at the following facilities:

    ​Main Courthouse
    18 North County St
    Waukegan, IL 60085

    Juvenile Branch Court
    24647 N. Milwaukee Ave
    Vernon Hills, IL 60061

    Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm

    Payments may also be payed online through our Payment Portal or through the call center at 888-604-7888

  • Can I pay online or over the phone?

    Yes.  You may make a payment on any Criminal or Traffic cases that have been previously plead to and an outstanding balance is owed.  Please visit our Online Payments page for additional information. 
  • I am being sued in Small Claims Court. What do I do?

    If you are sued, you will be notified when you receive a copy of the Small Claim Complaint and Summons in one of two ways.

    The complaint will tell you the reason you are being sued and the amount claimed. The summons will tell you when and where to file your "Appearance" if you contest the claim. Either show up in court or file an appearance before the court date on the summons.

    When sued, you may choose to do any one of the following things:

    1. Admit you owe the plaintiff all of the amount claimed.

    2. Deny you owe the plaintiff all or part of the amount claimed by filing an "Appearance" with the clerk before the "Return Day" and mailing a copy to the plaintiff.

    3. File a lawsuit against the plaintiff called a counterclaim if you believe the plaintiff owes you money in connection with the reason he claims you owe him the money.

    4. Settle the dispute out of court.

    If you contest the plaintiff's claim in whole or in part, you must file an "Appearance" with the Clerk of the Circuit Court and pay the "Appearance" fee before the "Return day". The trial is automatically set for the 14th day after the "Return Day,"  at the same time (9:00 a.m. or 1:30 p.m.) as the summons was returnable.  On the trial day a judge will listen to both sides of the case and render a decision.
  • What can I do if I cannot afford the filing fee?

    You may ask a Judge to allow you to file your complaint either without paying the filing fee or allowing payment of the fee in installments and/or at a later time.  You begin by filling out an "Application to Sue as a Poor Person."  If the Judge waives the filing fee, the Sheriff's fee for service process will also be waived.

    If you are sued and wish to have a trial on the plaintiff's claim, you may likewise complete an "Application to Sue as a Poor Person," and request that a Judge waive the filing fee otherwise required to file your appearance.
  • In which county do I file my claim?

    Generally, you must file your small claim in the county where 1) the defendant resides, or 2) where the events happened which you believe give you the right to sue, e.g. where the accident occurred, contract was signed or leased premises located.
  • Am I required to have a lawyer represent me in Small Claims Court?

    Persons 18 or older may choose to represent themselves or to be represented by a lawyer.  Regardless of your choice, your opponent has a right to appear through a lawyer. The Illinois Supreme Court Rules provide that a CORPORATION may ​not​ appear as a plaintiff without an attorney, but may appear as a defendant through an officer, director, manager or supervisor.  Corporate officers should consult with their lawyers regarding interpretation of this rule.
  • When can I use the Small Claims Court?

    When asking for a judgment of $10,000.00 or less.  The Small Claims Court can order a judgment only for money.  It cannot require a person or business to perform a service or stop a certain action or to return property.
  • How long do I have to file a case?

    This is a question that can only be answered by an attorney.  The clerk does not have knowledge of the law and cannot answer this question for you.
  • What is an alias summons and is there a fee?

    If the defendant is not served with the first summons, another summons must be issued.  This is called an alias summons.  The fee for an alias summons is $5.00.
  • I have been awarded a money judgment. How do I collect my money?

    Contact the Small Claims Department at 847-377-3226 for information on common collection proceedings.
  • How do I know if the defendant was served?

    You can call the clerk at 847.377.3226 to find out if the defendant was served.  Please have your case number available when you call.  If the sheriff has served the summons for you, they will also be able to provide you with the service information.  Their phone number is 847.377.4000.
  • Am I required to appear in court on the return date?

    The clerk cannot advise you as to whether you need to come to court on the return date.  Only a judge or an attorney is qualified to explain what options are available to you.  If the defendant appears in court, the judge will set a trial date 14 days from the return date.  If neither the plaintiff nor the defendant appears, the case will be set for 90 days from the return date for DWP (Dismissed for Want of Prosecution).