A Contested Dissolution of Marriage is a case in which the spouses cannot arrive at an agreement on one or more key issues in order to conclusively terminate their marriage or civil union. To file a contested dissolution of marriage please follow the steps below:

1. Obtain and complete the following forms (You must provide an original & two Copies of each):

       Certificate of Attorney-Family Division - #171-365 (Rev.01/16)
       Petition for Dissolution - #171-470 (Rev.12/15)
      Summons-Dissolution of Marriage - #171-223    (Rev.01/18)
       Judgement of Dissolution - #171-411 (Rev.01/15)
       Notice By Publication- #171-418 (Rev.08/13)**
       Affidavit for Service by Publication - #171-416 (Rev.09/14)
**Notice by Publication is used only when the whereabouts of the Respondent are unknown.

2. File the above paperwork in the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court and pay the 
    applicable filing fee that can be found on our current Fee Schedule.

3. If you have minor children, you will also need:
         Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act #171-145 (Rev.06/13)
         Proposed Parenting Plan - #171-480 (Rev.12/15)
         Take the required Parenting Class offered through the College of Lake County

The Illinois Supreme Court also provides forms and additional instructional information that are available on their website http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/forms/approved/divorce/divorce.asp that can be used in replace of the forms provided by the Lake County Circuit Clerk's Office.